Expert Advice For Storing Your Collectibles
There’s money to be made in just about anything, so whether you are looking to store your valuable collectors items to increase their value; or just need a secure and 24/7 accessible space to visit and admire your collectibles – at Storage Plus we can help!
The fact that many collectors items of years gone by, managed to stay alive for decades without being disposed of is a victory in itself and this where self-storage comes in handy. Here are some tips to help you store your prised possessions:
- Store with all original boxes, this will make the item more valuable.
- Keep the receipts to prove the date of purchase, the receipt can become an interesting collectable in its own right. Put the receipt in the box, or at the very least store it with the product.
- Keep a list of what you have stored, the professional term is an “Inventory”. Depending on how much you collect you will have trouble remembered what you have put away and where.
- Where to store you goods is extremely important, keep them in a dry area. Sitting them on the concrete floor of your garage will not keep the moisture out. Eventually the moisture will have an effect on timber boxes, certainly on cardboard boxes and overtime metal boxes. Remember we are talking about storing these goods for decades not just months or years.
- Keep the bugs out, make sure your boxes are pretty tight. Bugs are small and can get through areas you think are pretty air tight. Silverfish and moths are renowned for ruining clothes and paper stored for extended periods of time. It is worthwhile checking your stored items regularly to make sure they have not been affected.
- Control the climate, if you store your collectibles in your garage the temperature through out the year can vary from 5 to 45 degrees, with a huge range in humidity. At Storage Plus we offer climate controlled storage units.
This list is more of a starting point, but if you are serious about storing potential collectibles or storing your aged and valuable collectibles it is worth doing the research. If you would like some more advice or are considering self-storage with Storage Plus in Sydney or Melbourne, contact us today!